Making a decision to change
Reducing use tips
Coping with cravings
Stress management for
Wither you decide to reduce your use or abstain completely,
one of the challenges meeting the goal is being offered more
Tina. Saying ‘no’ is sometimes not enough. This
is a practice and like anything we practice, we will become
better at it. Recall strategies that have worked in the past.
Here are some suggestions from other guys that night be helpful
for you as well:
• Don’t hesitate. Respond immediately.
• Be clear and firm.
• Look the person in the eye when you say it and say
it like you mean it.
• Remind yourself of your goal.
• Suggest a healthy alternative.
• Change the subject.
• Bring to mind the benefits of not using and the consequences
if you do use.
• Don’t worry if the other person is disappointed,
frustrated or angry. Those responses are not your responsibility.
• Leave the situation.
• Feel good about your choice to stay committed to
• Do not let guilt creep in.
If one doesn’t work, then try another.
TIP: Imagine a situation where you can readily anticipate
being offered Tina where you might have trouble refusing.
Make a little plan now. What can you think, say and do in
this situation that will make it easier to refuse and stay
on track with your goal?